This blog has moved. Go to SoftwareDevelopmentToday.com for the latest posts.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

What does your shell history say about you?

Macintosh:~ vasco$ history|awk '{a[$2]++ } END{for(i in a){print a[i] " " i}}'|sort -rn|head
63 svn
56 cd
47 ls
26 sudo
26 man
23 ruby
17 find
15 /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
12 dir
9 set

"svn" is explained because I'm not familiar enough with RADRails in Eclipse and it is really easy to use command line for two word commands anyway :)
"cd" and "ls" are a waste of time... Something to improve here.
"sudo" and "mysql" just say that I run my development environment from the command line. "ruby" on the other hand tells you that with WEBrick reloading the rb files on the fly everytime you change them I don't need to re-start the server to change my web-app! ;)

What does your shell history say about you?

PS: "dir" is a common dyslexia for those of us that have suffered many Windows years...

at 22:41
RSS link

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Now you got me curious - why do you consider "cd" and "ls" a waste of time?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 13, 2008 10:55 AM  

  • the fact that you have to do 'cd' and 'ls' is a smell.

    Should you have already "aliased" the most common 'ls' and 'cd's? Like cd-ing to the project directory :)

    I guess I'm thinking too much about "process improvement", I even see these little things as "waste" ;)

    By Blogger Unknown, at April 14, 2008 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
(c) All rights reserved